Hello and welcome!
My name is Nathalia, and I am an interpreter by day, a translator by night, and a language geek at heart.
I've always had a knack for languages, so it made sense that I would go to university to study Translation, even though I've always wanted to be an archeologist. At school, besides understanding the technical skills and nuances of the work of a translator, including specific technology, terminology, and industry norms, I also learned Italian, French, and a bit of Polish, Russian and even Old Greek, and dove deep into phonetics and phonology of English and French.
After graduating from university I stepped into the global arena as a professional translator. I have accumulated experiences in several domains, working for clients all over the world. Some years later I finally got involved with the world of interpretation, which became my greatest challenge and passion.
Now I have accumulated experiences interpreting in several different settings, from high-level government meetings to human rights missions in riverside communities in the hinterlands of the Amazon.
In 2012, while exploring southern Australia’s rugged coastal landscapes, I got my certification as a professional translator from the National Authority for Translators and Interpreters, and ever since I have provided certified translations for over 600 clients, and counting.
My interest in entertainment and films led me to work for several video production companies in the transcription, translation, and subtitling of films, documentaries, commercials, training videos, online media, marketing campaigns, educational material & more.
All of the wonderful professional experiences I’ve been through in the past 18 years have made me a highly specialized professional, inspired by the love of translating and getting the message across in people's own languages, communicating effectively accross cultures.
I recently got my Master’s Degree in Translation and Localization Management, with coursework in interpretation from Spanish into English from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies in Monterey, California.
When I’m not pulling all-nighters translating, you will most likely find me learning about arts, fashion, design, history or astrology, advocating for women's rights, binge-watching TV shows, embroidering and/or making plans for my next Carnaval (or Halloween) costumes.
Avg. Words per Year
Years of Experience
Nathalia Rio Preto
18 years' experience bridging linguistic gaps and connecting people
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portfolio: sites.miis.edu/nriopreto
Master of Arts in Translation and Localization Management
2019 - 2021
Middlebury Institute of International Studies, Monterey, CA
- Coursework in Spanish into English Consecutive and Simultaneous Interpretation
Postgraduate Certificate in Translation and Interpretation
2009 - 2010
Universidade Gama Filho, Brasília, Brazil
Bachelor of Arts in Translation Studies
2003 - 2007
Universidade de Brasília, Brasília, Brazil
- Portuguese-English, 2003-2007
- Portuguese-French, 6 semesters completed
Italian Language and Culture Certificate
2005 - 2006
University of Florence, Italy
2020 - 2021
Globe Multilingual Services
- Coordinate with clients and evaluate needs
- Delegate tasks to the members of the team and provide counsel on all aspects of the project.
- Supervise the development of projects in order to ensure quality and accuracy of the deliverables
- Organize and lead meetings with clients and the localization team
Lead Interpretation Project Manager
2020 - present
- Coordinate with account, program, vendor managers, interpreters and clients
- Create and document project info
- Recommend and consult with clients on the most appropriate RSI platforms
- Troubleshoot during meetings
- Host project kickoff meetings
2019 - 2020
MIIS DLINQ - Digital Learning and Inquiry
- Supported the academic community for a variety of software and digital tools at the lab
- Consulted in-person and online with other students, faculty, and staff
- Implemented initiatives to develop students' digital fluency and critical engagement
- Organized Cryptoparties and events to raise awareness about digital and data privacy
- Managed DLINQ West's social media accounts
2020 - 2020
MIIS Language Professional Programs
- Supported students in resolving technical issues and course-related concerns
- Assisted professors with classroom instruction, exams, and record keeping
Freelance Translator and Interpreter
2003 - Present
MIIS DLINQ - Digital Learning and Inquiry
- Interpret in simultaneous, consecutive, liaison and whispering modalities in conferences, meetings, audits, and trainings in many fields including business, gaming, government, fashion, education, marketing, medicine, IT, engineering, military, banking, etc,
- Interpreted 2,000 + booth hours in Brazil and abroad for government agencies, international organizations, multinationals, and private companies
- Translate, localize, edit, subtitle, and transcribe texts in several fields: marketing, legal, medical, educational, social sciences, technical, tourism, government, entertainment, etc
- Translate official documents for clients applying for visas and/or educational institutions
- Coordinate teams for translation, subtitling, and editing projects
Translator, Interpreter and Secretary
2009 - 2011
Embassy of the Republic of Turkey in Brazil
- Planned, organized, and executed embassy events
- Liaised with Turkish, Brazilian, and international delegations and officials
- Translated daily diplomatic correspondence and articles from major Brazilian newspapers
- Performed consecutive interpretation for, government officials and Turkish delegations
- Accompanied and interpreted for Embassy staff during the Turkish Prime Minister's visit
My translation process consists of three steps: Translation, Proofreading and Quality Management. The translation process, however, does not end upon delivery of the translation. I then build glossaries or Translation Memories when required to ensure consistency in my client’s projects from the very first assignment. This way I can ensure the best possible result is delivered to my clients.
NAATI Certified Translation
NAATI is the national standards and certifying authority for translators and interpreters in Australia. NAATI certified translations are officially endorsed by the Australian and New Zealand governments, and by the Commonwealth countries. My NAATI certified translations are accepted by government agencies, professional associations and educational institutions of these countries. Get in touch to request a quote.
Consecutive, simultaneous, over-the-phone, and remote simultaneous interpreting. 10 years of experience providing interpretation for conferences, meetings, official missions, workshops, seminars, training classes & more. I have worked with most major RSI platforms available in the market, including Zoom, Interactio, KUDO and InterpretCloud.
Translation, subtitle editing and time-coding (spotting) for films, documentaries, commercials, institutional videos, training videos, online media, marketing campaigns, educational material & more.
Localization and Transcreation
Localization, in a nutshell, is a cultural adaptation of a product or content to different languages, regional specificities and technical requirements of a target market, as if it was developed within the local culture. Transcreation, on the other hand, is completely reimagining a content or product so that it better resonates with a target culture. My work focuses on customized texts, both linguistically and culturally relevant so that the translation not only expresses the target language, but speaks to the target culture.
Editing and Proofreading
Editing is to review and change your text with the intent to improve the flow and overall quality of your writing and to ensure the document makes sense, cutting down on wordiness, and clarifying any ambiguity other than correcting any obvious mistakes. Proofreading is the process of examining the final draft of a document or text after it has been edited as to ensure there are absolutely no errors, reviewing for spelling errors, punctuation errors, typos or incorrect use of the language before it is published.
Robert W. Wilson
Brazilian Portuguese Editor @ Blizzard Entertainment
Nathalia was one of the interpreters selected among many high quality candidates to be part of a team of interpreters who definitely exceeded Blizzard’s expectations and provided interpretation services that have never been delivered in such a way previously. I found her show great interest and curiosity in Blizzard’s games and products, which was one of the main drivers for hiring the interpreters for this event. Nathalia comes across as very dedicated and determined. I can also describe her as enthusiastic, genuine, responsible and talented.
Abena P. A. Busia
Ghana's Ambassador to Brazil
Nathalia was referred to me by another ambassador when I was seeking a translator who could translate a poem I wrote that was going to be featured in a poetry event. Ever since our first contact she showed me the confidence and skill I wanted to find in a translator. I asked her to translate three of my poems and other three from other female poets on this occasion and couldn’t be happier with the work she delivered. I was very concerned about stylistic aspects of both English and Portuguese languages that could be problematic when translating poems, but Ms Rio Preto very skillfully came up with solutions that were perfect for those texts. Other than the written translations, Ms Rio Preto also did a consecutive translation of me reciting my poems at the said poetry event, which was also done with an uncanny ability.
Sworn Translator & Proofreader
Nathalia is an amazing, resourceful, and reliable translator. I sometimes consult her when in doubt about the best way to express a Brazilian term in English, and she often surprises me with a piece of vocabulary that fits the context perfectly. She pays much attention to detail, which shows in the final version of her work. Her resourcefulness stands out in localization services—she has the best solutions to make a particular phrasing or term sound natural in the other language. Deadlines are a serious commitment to her; in all the projects we worked together, she always had her part delivered on time, no matter how demanding it might have been.
Interpreter & Translator
To have Nathalia as a colleague and a friend is not only an honor, it is part of what I am as an interpreter. She is always excited, prepared and keen to work, regardless of topic or platform. Nathalia is passionate about the job and her beliefs, always vocal about the importance of thinking socially and the impact of small actions to the whole. In her personal life, she’s often multitasking as just focusing on a single thing is not challenging enough for her. As quirky as she can be, she owns the room and takes the leadership role whenever the situation calls upon her, never afraid of dealing with what life throws her way. From mother to friend, interpreter to copywriter, Nathalia is never shy of excelling, and truly is an example to her peers.
My Current Location:
Salt Lake City, UT